wrote on Fri, 06 Aug 2010 12:21:43 GMT:

There are specs out there (set by the government) for whether
or not your disks have been sufficiently cleaned prior to
reuse or disposal. Let's just say you can search the archives
for more detail on that. But, in general, scratching your
system and reinstalling the OS should be sufficient.

If you have more than 1 disk controller on the systems (I think
not on 515s, but can't recall), you could take advantage of Disk
Sanitizer PRPQ (product 5799-SD1). Or it you can temporarily
mount the disks behind a controller on a functioning system and
perform the sanitize there. You can use disk sanitizer to clean
the disks to DoD satisfaction.

My approach to getting the system to the point where only IBM
licensed software and default user profiles are on the system, I
would remove user profiles except IBM supplied defaults, all
device descriptions, all controller descriptions, all line
description, authorization lists, user libraries, directories in
the IFS, etc. Once everything has been deleted, I'd do an option
22 from the save menu. If you opt to use the disk sanitize,
sanitizing would happen here. The last step would be to reload
licensed internal code with an inialize the system option and
reload the IBM stuff.