I've set up a wiki page for printing on the IBM i...

http://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Setting_up_a_printer

Charles

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Trying to set up a non-IPDS printer as an IPDS one?

Here's the place to start when it come to setting up a network printer.
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/acf2ee1e9d64b16e8625680b00020389/455975a3bf2ac71e862569f9006ba227

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear the the MFC-7820 is listed on the
"Information on Printers from Brother" document you can get to from
the above document.  Looking at other MFC printers, and the port data
you provided.  It would appear that your brother supports PJL (HP PCL)
and IPP.

Thus, follow the the directions for setting up either one of these
- A *LAN 3812 IPP device description
- A *LAN 3812 PJL device description

Host print transform (HPT) will transform *SCS and *AFPDS data streams
into ASCII before sending them to the printer.

Assuming you are running v5r4, then HPT will support the printing the
the 2D Maxicode barcode that UPS needs.  See the following:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/79637fb11f0abbc08625667f0069a5e3

Here's an old thread in comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc that discusses IPP vs.
PJL vs SNMP
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.as400.misc/browse_thread/thread/ac498c2f598ca7c7/1bd1927e5fec4079

HTH,
Charles