First off let me say I am out of my knowledgable area on the IBMi with
printers (haven't done operations in over 10yrs :-). With that said...

I am trying to setup a networked IPDS printer so I can print UPS labels on a
V5R3 machine. The printer is a Brother MFC 7820N. I was successful at
setting up a networked non-IPDS printer via iNav and it prints ASCII spool
files just fine (i.e. the test print page). The printer isn't a label
printer because I thought it wouldn't really matter given it is just a print
stream needing to make it's way onto some form of paper medium, correct?

Running nmap gave me the following open ports and services on the printer:

21 - ftp
23 - telnet
80 - http
515 - printer
631 - ipp
9100 - jetdirect

Here is a video of my attempt: http://screencast.com/t/ZTk4NWQ1O

Can I use this printer to print non-ASCII spool files?
Can you see anything I am doing wrong?

Aaron Bartell