If you take out deprecated fields, you run a very high risk of breaking code for anyone that has used the file. And if you change the size, again you can really hurt your customers. LVLCHK(*NO) does not protect you in that case. So as objects sizes can go up, in the case here presented, you need to do something to accommodate that. In this case, the constraints kind of require that you leave the original field in place and that you add new ones at the end - exactly the solution IBM provide.

At the risk of stating the obvious, you are your own shop, you don't sell software, you have the luxury of managing a lot of your own stuff. So you CAN afford to remove fields you no longer use.

Vendors are different from in-house setups - vendors can't control everything people do out there. And they can't afford to do things that could cause major upheavals for customers.

JMHO
Vern