From: rob@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:rob@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 June 2010 13:39
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: LPAR for testing on a relatively small machine?

Hear hear!
I have a 9408-M25 with one "host" partition running 7.1 and two guested partitions underneath that with both also running 7.1. They also ran happy when all were at 6.1.
Guesting allows all partitions to share all available disk arms.

Screw separate controllers for each partition! Screw taking the disk arms and divvying them up by partition! Stick a CD in the CD drive and all three simultaneously report that volume id is now in the drive.

Power 6 and 6.1 (or above) rocks! Love having that HMC also.

We keep our percent used on our machines really low. Amazingly low.

MAIL3: Hosting partition
Only partition with "real" disks.
WRKDSKSTS
Size %
Unit Type (M) Used
1 433C 139594 51.3
1 433C 139594 51.3
2 4328 123488 49.9
3 4328 141129 49.9
4 4328 123488 49.9
5 4328 123488 49.9
6 4328 123488 49.9
7 4328 123488 49.9
8 4328 123488 49.9
9 4328 123488 49.9
10 4328 123488 49.9
11 4328 141129 49.9
12 4328 141129 43.4
13 4328 141129 43.4
14 4328 141129 43.4
15 4328 141129 43.4
16 4328 141129 43.4
17 4328 141129 43.4
18 4327 52923 43.4
19 4327 52923 43.4
20 4327 52923 43.4
21 4327 70564 43.4
22 4327 70564 43.4
23 4327 52923 43.4

GDI: First Guest partition. Added a second "storage space" when first got tight.
WRKDSKSTS
Size %
Unit Type (M) Used
1 6B22 233020 30.1