The XP mode does work as advertised, almost......

Make sure you have *LOTS of memory (I run 4GB and it's too small) A fast video card with a good deal of memory is also a strong help.

You will find XP mode not fast enough for normal use unless the video and memory are upped by quite a bit.

Make sure the virus checker that you put on the XP side (yes you will need one) and the Win7 Host virus checker don't interfere with each other. The free virus check on XP Microsoft offers with conflict with the Win7 Norton checker.

If you use VPN you will need the client for the XP virtual machine as well as the Win7 version. Just starting VPN on Win7 does not make the XP mode communicate with it without some arm twisting in the virtual communications configuration.

The IBM i Navigator will run fine in that environment with the above caveats....

BTW: I run the 64bit version of Win7 Ultimate. I have not tried the 32bit versions at all.

If you have current SWMA on the V5R4 software you can order V7 anytime even if you do not intend to implement it soon. That's the preferred way to obtain it. The V7 version works well with Win7 in my case.

Jim Oberholtzer
CEO/Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects, LLC