From: Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/28/2010 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: Subversion and RPG source change managemen

What a flurry of activity! I'm please to hear about Arco's success with
the running the AIX version. I'd like to try it on my server, but my PASE
qualifications are close to nil, so any instructions, pointers, or tips
would be most helpful. I could also use the Apache configuration to
support remote SVN clients.

Some of my thoughts about an IBM i SVN client were influenced by TAATOOLS:

http://taatool.com/document/L_srcctl.htm

Those are primarily command-line tools, written in CL, where most of the
source-control configuration, audit, and history data are stored in IBM i
tables.

I was also influenced by comments here, and from other sources, which
discussed a "distributed" approach to source control, which address
performance concerns. Checking source out & in, against the IBM i
library-file system performs exceptionally well. From there, all we'd
need to do is to synchronize those changes with a Subversion repository,
which could be performed asynchronously (in batch); perhaps at night.

My other reasons for using IBM i tables to store configuration, lock
state, and check-out/check-in/repository-resolution data, would be to make
it easier to query and report source-code change. I don't see that as
reinventing the wheel.

I'm not very qualified in RSE, or other Eclipse-based tools, but my
understanding is that RSE could evoke CL commands or programs to run
check-out & check-in procedures.

It appears that synchronizing IBM i library/file/members with a Subversion
could be handled by wrappers around the PASE SVN client. But I'm also
interested in the approach that Aaron Bartell took; using the Java-based
SVNKit.

-Nathan.