Do "going forward" and "going backward" mean to imply the use of the expected /sequential access method/ [i.e. retrieve previous or next] versus the unexpected /direct access method/ [i.e. retrieve by rrn; for other than *START or *END] for row retrieval?

Regards, Chuck

James H. H. Lampert wrote:
Ok. I now have a sample version of the customer's environment
(the one with the problem of unwanted records slipping through)
on our V6 box. And I was easily able to duplicate the problem in
our MI application, but the files worked just fine from ILE
RPG, at least opening the "problem" views as
externally-described, in a Cycle program.

One interesting thing about the unwanted records slipping through
in the MI app: it's always exactly one unwanted record, and it
looks like it slips through only when explicitly positioning
the cursor to RRN 1. Going forward through the file from that
point always takes me directly to the last "good" record, but
going backward from the last "good" record takes me to the
penultimate "good" record, and so forth. And if I go backwards
all the way to TOF, it brings me back to the "bad" record at the
TOF. (This is starting to remind me Zork.)

BINGIE! I wrote another ILE RPG program, this time chaining to
records 1, 2, and 3, all of which are "known excluded" records,
and it successfully retrieved all three without throwing an
exception!

And going back to the app, I find that if I send it to an
arbitrary RRN, it likewise doesn't seem to give a tinker's curse
whether it's a "good" or "excluded" record, but if I go forward
from an "excluded" record, I end up at the last "good" record in
the file.

Now, I at least know what's going wrong. Fixing it could take a
bit of doing. Any suggestions of where, lacking an exception, I
can find out if I've retrieved an "excluded" record would be
appreciated.