DrFranken,

Yes power is an issue, I can't imagine why??? The Second HMC is in an
alternate data center with the alternate ESS-800 Shark. The primary data
center has an ESS-800 Shark too. We've been beating up management with
improvement suggestions to reduce power and improve performance. They've
been hesitant to buy anything because, well it costs money. WOW what a
concept! Our previous CIO did not like the idea of LPAR's because it might
interfere with the primary server on the p595, so it runs ONE system. Now
that's really a waste. Now that we are under new management, the server
sprawl is over, and we're still cleaning up after it all. The POWER6+ 570
will get moved to the alternate data center, once we get a more robust
infrastructure in place. The AIX admin is already pushing to retire the
p595 and move the server to the POWER770. The two iSeries servers are
already in a retirement plan. The sad news is that management is
continuing the original plan to consolidate everything onto three primary
platforms. AIX, Linux, and M$. The iSeries is no longer being considered
for our modernization efforts here. I was new to this system when I took
this job just over 2 years ago. I was a Solaris admin, and worked on M$,
Sun, SGI, VAX, and several systems that predate c/Unix. I have to say that
the i/OS is one of the more robust systems I've had the pleasure of working
with, it will be a sad day when we retire our final iSeries system here.

So, the moral of the story folks. "Server sprawl is bad, m'kay!" My
personal disclaimer, I got here after all of the initial server sprawl. So
I've been part of the modernization and clean up effort, oh yay! And to
answer your obvious question, I have been lobbying to keep the iSeries here
for certain tasks. It's been a wonderful Domino platform, but it's running
on a 6 year old server. It's time for a little hardware refresh, say an
LPAR on the POWER770. I haven't given up yet, and won't.

Thank you,
Bill Epperson Jr.
Systems Communications Analyst
Memorial Health System