Pete,

I realize that in his role as this site's administrator, Mr Gibbs feels he
has license to provide advice even in the absence of any real knowledge, but
pay no heed to such rubbish. Given that David has never used X-Analysis its
no surprise that he has a limited ability to make any realistic
recommendation.

If you want to chat with anyone who has and is doing such work as yours with
our products, and therefore knows what they are talking about, I would be
happy to put you in contact with one of them.

First of all the 99% of the time the reason people use X-Analysis is to help
solve problems such as you are describing here. Secondly X-Analysis actually
extracts the specific business rules automatically from any given RPG, COBOL
or SYNON system. X-Analysis also extracts and describes the data model in
relational and physical terms from the program and file source. The other
cross referencing tools Mr Gibbs has mentioned do none of this. Essentially
they FIND what you are looking for as Mr Gibb's points out. X-Analysis also
finds what you are looking for , then it visually deconstructs the design
and shows it from a number of different perspectives. In a large complicated
batch program data I/O and its underlying structure is another key
requirement to understanding the system better, along with program
structure, data flow, business rules, sub-routine explosion amongst others.
Visualising all of this graphically with just about no effort then makes the
overall process of redesigning it much easier. You will still have to
redesign the program itself but you can spend your time on doing that,
rather than spending valuable time gathering and documenting design
information.

Kind regards,

Stuart Milligan

Tel: 917 267 7523