As I understand it, the server authority entry will just replace the USRID and optionally the PASSWORD for the requester. If no server authority entry exists which matches the request [resolving specific to generic], the current user profile name and password is used for the connection user ID in negotiating a connection. Thus *IP DDM files should be functional without any ADDSRVAUTE, neither for the QDDMSERVER nor RDB-name [nor *ALL as a more generic catch] as the SERVER(), at least when there is a matching user profile & password on the remote system.?

The use of the RDB as redirect for the DDM file on how to negotiate the connection, enables indirectly an additional RMTAUTMTH [Remote Authentication Method] parameter [on the ADDRDBDIRE], with an optional ability to restrict or enable negotiating a lower [less secure] authentication method. The default security method or mechanism [called SECMEC in a link below] used for DDM files is essentially the *USERIDPWD, but has no option to control if a higher or lower authentication method is used in response to the UserID and password that gets sent; i.e. use of just *USRID may be negotiated, for only a user identifier required to establish the connection [if the CHGDDMTCPA has *NO set for its PWDRQD() "password required" parameter], for which I infer the default user QUSER in the QRWTSRVR is used like for an *SNA connection default user.?

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/ddm/rbae5sourcesecurity.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/ddm/rbae5failures.htm
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/ddp/rbal1elementsusetcp.htm

Regards, Chuck

Evan Harris wrote:

My recollection was that DDM files defined over an IP connection
require a server authentication entry.

First time I defined that stuff was at V5R2 so I have no
recollection of what V5R1 had or didn't have. Come to think of it
- I don't remember working on V5R1 except for a couple of test
boxes.

Vern Hamberg wrote:

I looked at a v5r4 machine and saw no entries for my profile.
Those don't even exist on our v5r1 machine.

Seems I remember you saying something about IASPs in this
context - but I've not tested that kind of thing.

Confused!!

Evan Harris wrote:

Yes it can be done. I've seen it done a couple of different
ways.

Do you have the DDM Server started and also does it require a
password ?

Note also when setting up TCP DDM files that you need to add
a server authentication entry ADDSVRAUTE for the target
system.

Jose Antonio Salazar wrote:

I was asked if a small set of DDMFs can be created pointing
to the same IBM i. That way we could use a single machine
for development.

Using RMTLOCNAME(MYSYSTEM *SNA) and attempting a DSPPFM
fails with: "Remote location AFIRMED for program device
DDMDEVICE was not found."

Using RMTLOCNAME(LOCALHOST *IP) or RMTLOCNAME('127.0.0.1'
*IP) and attempting a DSPPFM fails with: "A remote host
refused an attempted connect operation."

I'm not knowledgeable enough about device or network
configuration to conclude that it can't be done, though.