Scott Klement wrote:
But... performance is just not one of it's advantages.

Had you said anything like that, or even simply "RPG performs better", then I doubt anyone would have taken you to task for it. The truth is that Java performs perfectly well for plenty of things, especially when paired with RPG for database access. With database access, it's not Java that really underperforms, it's the SQL-based data access that demands immense overhead to do simple fetches.

In any case, the issue is not simply which performs best. We all know RPG is the winner hands down; I've done plenty of benchmarks on that over the years.

No, the real issue is :is it fast enough, and it is for so many things, especially web application serving. And more important, it is fast to market, making it so that you don't have to reinvent the wheel on so many things.

Okay, 'nuff said. The phrase "Java, in general, sucks" was a poor choice of words. I've made plenty of those in my day. Moving on now...

Joe