From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg
Sent: Friday, January 22, 2010 2:46 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Changing console from direct-connect to LAN

Hi

Need some help here - we have a 9407-515 V5R4M5 and current on all PTFs.
It is set up for the direct-connect console. The "Select Console" and
"Configure Service Tools LAN Adapter" screens are displayed below.

We have a 2793 card where the 39J5835 PCI cable connects. It is in slot 3.

I have a Laptop running XP and a Serial-USB cable from the 39J5835 PCI
cable to the laptop.

I have installed Personal Communication async console option on that PC,
and there are several standard emulator instances, as well.

I cannot get connected - have tried control panel option 21 to force
DST, and it just says it is "Connecting..." I've not tried a manual IPL
to DST yet.

I have used this laptop as a console on a 170, I think. And maybe a
9406-520 running V5R3M0.

I think I should change to a LAN console, as there is more flexibility
with that, AFAIK. We have 2 Ethernet ports P1-T5 and P1-T6 on a 5706-001
- the former is where our Ethernet line is defined - resource CMN05.

So I don't know exactly what to do - I know I can change consoles in
SST, right? But I have no console right now to do some things. Unless I
can do everything in SST or from the control panel.

So I want some kind of console - either get the direct-attach going, or
change to LAN.

Thanks
Vern

Select
Console
System:
xxxxxxx

Allow console recovery and console can be
taken
over by another console . . . . . . . . . 2 1=Yes,
2=No

Select one of the
following:
Console type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
2
1.
Twinaxial
2. Operations
console(Direct)
3. Operations
console(LAN)
4. Hardware management
console(HMC)
Current state of console tag . . . . . . . .
0

Allow supported internal LAN adapter
be the console . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 1=Yes,
2=No
Allow supported Gigabit LAN adapter
be the console . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1 1=Yes,
2=No

Configure Service Tools LAN
Adapter
System:
xxxxxxx
Type choices, press Enter to verify
input.

Resource name . . . . . . . :
CMN05
Adapter type . . . . . . . :
5706
Adapter model . . . . . . . :
001
Adapter serial number . . . :
00-41C00C0

Internet address . . . . . .
0.0.0.0
Primary router address . . .
0.0.0.1
Secondary router address . .
0.0.0.0
Subnet mask . . . . . . . . .
255.255.255.0
Host name for service tools .
thissys4
Node . . . . . . . . . . . . 000000000000 (0 is
default)
Duplex . . . . . . . . . . . AUTO HALF, FULL,
AUTO
Network speed . . . . . . . . AUTO 4, 10, 16, 100,
AUTO
Ethernet standard . . . . . . ETHV2
ETHV2