Graap, Kenneth wrote:
I agree... Deleting the *SAVF would defeat the point of using STG(*FREE) ... That is the point. You can do exactly that.

The point I was trying to make in my example though, is that if
a user with *SAVSYS authority saved a file to a SAVE FILE using
STG(*FREE) and then deleted the SAVE FILE, the object would
effectively be removed from the system, because the data portion
of the object is gone and it couldn't be restored because the
save file containing the data was also removed. Since the user
executing this SAV command creates the SAVE FILE they could
delete it without having *ALLOBJ authority because they own it.

For lack of CRTSAVF in the script, plus my glossing over versus actually examining the parameter values, I incorrectly thought the file being deleted was the one being saved; i.e. not the save file.

The outcome of the given scenario then, is little different than CLRPFM of the members of the file, except the member objects remain suspended from a STG(*FREE) request. The data restore need not be from the request performed with STG(*FREE). In either case the data from a prior DR save [vs extemporaneous save to a save file] can be used to restore that data into the object, and then have the journaled changes applied.

The expressed concern could probably be best addressed by addition of a special value for *STGFREE, or better [and easier for lesser impact to development] the addition of a "functional usage" [e.g. QIBM_QSR_STGFREE]. That would probably be something worth asking for in a DCR.

Regards, Chuck