You might want to do a rgzpfm to get the true new size. And set the reuse-deleted to *YES. Of course, those might not match the old settings, so you can't do a true comparison.

And as James said, all the allocated space is actually fixed length. There is an additional space that contains those values that exceed the allocated length. And those values are not removed until you do a rgzpfm - wait - that is probably exactly what happened. You had all your 256-long fields stored in auxiliary storage because they are longer than the allocated length - and the main storage part has to have pointers to auxiliary, so it will be bigger.

Try RGZPFM.

HTH
Vern

John Allen wrote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding the variable length field concept.
I thought it could reduce my file size??

OK, I have a physical file with a field that has fixed length of 256
I change the file to have variable length field 1028 and the allocated
length of 30.
Most of the records have 0 - 10 bytes of data in the field (I may reduce
allocated size to 10)

I then updated the file so that the new file with the new variable length
field has data truncated to minimum length (stripped off trailing blanks)

I then compare the file size (using DSPOBJD) and the new file with the
variable length field is quite a bit larger then the old file with the fixed
length field.

I expected to see a smaller object size?
Or am I looking in the wrong place to compare the before and after sizes?

John