From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Crispin Bates
Sent: 05 November 2009 20:37
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Logical file order of records

Neil,

It depends. What do you mean by identical data?

There was an interesting discussion on the System i network last week
regarding this.

http://forums.systeminetwork.com/isnetforums/showthread.php?t=77551

It is possible that two versions of the same physical, with the same data,
can return the data in different sequences. It really depends on what you
mean by identical data. The data may have been written in a different
sequence, one physical may have been RGZPFM'd. If REUSEDLT(*YES), then what
sequence does the system decide to write to deleted records in?

Don't write applications that rely on data to be sequenced without defining
that sequence as keys. SQL will never guarantee the sequence except for what

is in the ORDER BY. Use the same approach for DDS LF's and you won't get
bitten. If you want to see records in the order they are created, the you
need a Date/Time stamp to sequence them by...

Crispin.