Aaron

The key to this is on the Add Image Catalog Entry command, the FROMFILE parameter of all things!! You set that to *NEW, give a name in the TOFILE parameter (not *GEN), and give it a size. This has to be V5R3 and up to get the writable image catalog entry.

If you've been able to create image catalogs, all you need is to add an entry with the appropriate values, as below. Not all that intuitive at first, but then you know about that with your recent adventure. Ride 'm Power Pony!!!

HTH
Vern

Add Image Catalog Entry (ADDIMGCLGE) ......................................................................
From image file (FROMFILE) - Help Specifies the image file to be copied. A value must be specified for
either the FROMFILE or FROMDEV parameter to identify the optical image
to be copied to the image catalog directory. *NEW Specifies that a new catalog entry of the size specified for the Image size (IMGSIZ) parameter is to be created. The new catalog entry will be created empty and uninitialized. After the catalog
entry is initialized, write operations can be performed to it through a virtual optical device.
Aaron Bartell wrote:
Would you be able to relay a sanitized version of the commands and their
sequence? I have worked with image catalogs on the IBM VLP systems, but
there always seems to be a good number of steps involved and I haven't been
able to make sense of some of the steps (yet).

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com