Dennis

In V6R1 you can put a WHERE clause on an index. You can also have the index keys be expressions. The former is equivalent to an S/O logical so far as selectivity is concerned. It is still probably specific to the iSeries.

There is no way that I know of to have a subset of the columns in an index. That is still the province of LFs on the iSeries.

Vern

Dennis Lovelady wrote:
Thanks again to all who helped me with the DBCS issues - especially Chuck
for all his help. (As a refresher, the need is to get an Open-DBCS field
into CCSID(37), and Chuck provided great insight here.)

Of course the saga continues as now it's been determined that some of the
SQLs in question are against keyed logical views that have select/omit
involved. I realize that indexed views are unique to System i, and wonder
if there is an SQL-equivalent for them. I've written a program that will
create a view over the physical using auto-generated SQL with appropriate
CAST(), and now I'd like to expand that to also generate for these LFs.

It seems that QSQGNDDL is (somewhat) happy retrieving the SQL source for
these files either as an index or as a view, but of course the generated
source pair fails miserably when trying to create an Index and a view of the
same name. So I wonder if there's an SQL way of doing that, or if I have to
resort to building DDS and generating from there? Again, the goal is to
take a working SEQUEL (not SQL) statement like "SELECT COMPNAME LEN(20) FROM
MY_LF" (which now fails because of the column type for COMPNAME) and allow
it to execute by casting a new type for COMPNAME in a view/index called
MY_LF to be created in a new library.

Sorry to drag this topic on. I did search Midrange archives for
combinations of SQL, KEY, INDEX, VIEW, LF and didn't find anything that fit
the mold.

Thanks,

Dennis E. Lovelady
AIM: delovelady MSN: fastcounter@xxxxxxxxxxxx
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady>
www.linkedin.com/in/dennislovelady --
"Peace: In international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods
of fighting."
- Ambrose Bierce