Burns, Bryan wrote:
What are the implications of changing the QCRTAUT sysval from
*CHANGE to *USE? We have menu level security here and QCRTAUT
has been *CHANGE for at least a decade, if not more. Aside from
our programmers needing to have a better understanding of adopted
authority, what else will we need to do? We have many users
using many queries here and to what extent will queries be
affected?

<<SNIP>>

Existing objects are unaffected by a change to that system value, so no concerns there. Since a change to that system value however, objects created into any library that was created [or changed] to have the CRTAUT(*SYSVAL) [i.e. CRTLIB or CHGLIB], where the public authority of the object being created is either specified or defaulted to have AUT(*LIBCRTAUT), the object will be created according to the changed system value.

Although understanding adopted authority is important, I am not convinced there would be generally, any direct correlation between a change of QCRTAUT and [any requirement for] the use of adopted authority.

If /queries/ refers to the object type *QRYDFN, then there will probably be little noticeable impact for those objects, because *USE & *CHANGE are IIRC, effectively the same; i.e. any user that can /read/ a query definition object can request to 2=Change, but they can not then save with replace of that same object [qualified name] unless they are also the owner, they could only save to another name. An output file however, may no longer allow updates, which could be a problem if any previously had been dependent on the *CHANGE public authority assigned for the OUTFILE() that was produced by a query.

Regards, Chuck