I think both Oracle and IBM see the application and computer services
space as the place they want to be. They both want to lock the
customer into their products. Having your customer running your mega
end user software application can guarantee annual revenue for
eternity. My guess is profits from selling licenses and support of a
medical billing system dwarf those from selling a database engine, run
time framework, OS or server rack. MSFT provides its languages and
.NET framework for no charge. So there is no money for Oracle to make
from Java. Now MSFT is starting to give away Windows Server, SQL
Server and Visual Studio for the running of low end production
applications: http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/ How will
the DB2 and Oracle databases be able to turn a profit when MSFT is
willing to compete so aggresively?