All,

The big iron drives the majority of IBM's revenue on i. I do agree with the
comment above about open source on LINUX. I think companies that have been
hesitant to embrace Open Source are now seeing enough expertise in the
industry and enough stability in Open Source software to embrace them.

Power Linux has run on the machine for quite sometime now. If you look at
the Power Systems web sites, at IBM.COM and look at the Virtualization
Engine, IBM Director support for IBM i and the four pillars of IBM Software
Group you will see a major investment and commitment to the machine (Power5
and Power6) with tons of Software running on AIX and LINUX.

In fact do not be surprised to see the best features of OS/400 aka i5/OS aka
IBM i move into the virtualization engine. It is pretty awesome today with
full virtualization of DASD, Network Connectivity, Memory, and the ability
allocate 1/10th of 1 processor to all 64 processors to an LPAR! You can
alter them dynamically at will and bring up a new LPAR in minutes.

Look also at the benchmarks. Java and IBM Java based servers perform best
on AIX and LINUX. Look, IBM i or i5/OS or OS/400 will always be in my book
an amazing operating system, but...

Quite frankly what it was good at was batch and 5250 Interactive
processing. A LINUX LPAR running the WebSphere App Server or another one
running the Apache HTTP server is pretty darn awesome too. Especially when
they all share the same resources. Add to the mix the choices you have in
DASD today over just a year ago and you still have the best machine in the
world.

Bob C.