CRPence wrote:

<<SNIP>>

FWiW I recall there was a defect at one time [maybe still] with
FTP adding records to a save file which is open in another job
[any open precludes most if not all I/O for the same save file].
Except to investigate if\what error, having a save file open with
DSPSAVF should be avoided in conjunction with use of either PUT
[less likely APPEND] or GET with that same save file as target.

Out of curiosity I checked out my recollection, testing using OS/400 V5R3 from\to the same system with two distinct save files where one was allocated by DSPSAVF in an alternate session...

Using the FTP subcommand GET to access data from a save file which is open [in another process] incorrectly gives FTP426 [implying a "member" of the save file is not found] instead of an allocation error.

Using the FTP subcommand GET with "(REPLACE" to reset the data in a save file which is open [in another process] incorrectly returns to the FTP command line without any errors and an empty prompt line being logged.

The FTP PUT subcommand gives somewhat similar yet possibly weirder results. Unlike for GET, the failed open for read on PUT is logged correctly in the joblog as [CPF5729 and] CPF4128 yet is logged as the 426 error in the FTP session. Open for write on PUT gives the 426 with "Data transfer ended", plus the next subcommand and repeats of that same request [e.g. syscmd call qcmd] end without any results except a blank prompt line being logged.

Regards, Chuck