Hello list,

We recently bought a used 9406-820 to replace our aging 9406-S10. The 820 has a 6382 tape drive in it (QIC4GB). Our S10 has a 6385 tape unit. While in the process of transferring our data from the S10 to the 820, the S10 decided to have a controller failure and will no longer IPL. I called my BP and talked with a CE and he suggested removing the 6385 from the S10 and replacing the 6382 in the 820 with it. I very carefully did so. I have a device TAP02 in the 820 that looks correct in every way to me.

However, when I tried a RSTLIB I got a system dump. Among the dumps I found this:

Problem ID: 0924161372
System Ref Code: SRC63859020
Resource Name: TAP02
Problem: Tape I/O Processor CMB01 detected non supported d (it appears truncated after that)

Any ideas on if I can get this tape drive working in the 820?

James Rich

if you want to understand why that is, there are many good books on
the design of operating systems. please pass them along to redmond
when you're done reading them :)
- Paul Davis on ardour-dev