Ok. Thanks for the detail.
First thing, add some DNS addresses to CFGTCP, 12. On your DOS prompt on
your PC you can type:
c:>nslookup ptf.boulder.ibm.com
and you should see something that begins with:
Server: gdsdns.dekko-1
Address: 10.10.4.250

Enter in the address shown in CFGTCP, 12. I know it's a fate worse than
death, but I suggest talking to your network people and see if they have
more than one DNS. If so, you can record up to three in CFGTCP, 12. I
was surprised to see *NONE in yours.

Actually, on my i if I type in
CALL QCMD
NSLOOKUP PTF.BOULDER.IBM.COM
I see:
Server: 10.10.4.250
Address: 10.10.4.250#53

10.10.4.250 is one of the three addresses recorded in CFGTCP, 12.

further down in NSLOOKUP I see:
Non-authoritative answer:
ptf.boulder.ibm.com canonical name = inetsd01.boulder.ibm.com.
Name: inetsd01.boulder.ibm.com
Address: 170.225.15.62

Doesn't that seem to match your reply of:
"oddly (to me) it showed an address of 170.225.15.26, not 207.25.253.62
which the System i FTP showed it was trying to connect to."
only the 26 is transposed. Perhaps IBM has a bank of servers that the
Boulder site connects to and that changes?

You don't have a host table entry on your i for PTF.BOULDER.IBM.COM do
you?
IOW you don't have an entry at CFGTCP, "10. Work with TCP/IP host table
entries", do you? If so, get CFGTCP, 12 working and tested with a few
sites like
NSLOOKUP NRA.ORG
Once you get DNS tested and running then go into CFGTCP, 10 and remove any
host entries for *.ibm.com. If IBM is using a bank of servers (like I
suspect) then host table entries are going to bite you.