In all the times I have run RCLSTG *DBXREF (not a full RCLSTG, but just
rebuild the cross reference files) it only takes 5 to 10 minutes, and on
very very very small systems it might take 15 minutes.

I am wondering how you were able to run a RCLSTG (of any type) while not
being in a restricted state, could you share that. The startup program runs
as an auto-start job from the controlling subsystem. Therefore, the
controlling subsystem would need to be started, and hence the system is not
in a restricted state?

Another way is: You could have a shutdown program that was run from the
system console, with a delay of xx number of minutes/hours. Once the delay
is reached, ends all your jobs using your standard procedures, ends all
subsystems *IMMED, put another short delay in to allow for the system to get
into restricted state, and then run your RCLSTG (*DBXREF or *ALL), and then
either start your controlling subsystem or IPL the machine.

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com