Not too odd. IIRC inquiry messages, and presumably any [break] messages that are sent to the external program message queue [i.e. *EXT] may also, have a timer which expires some 24hrs later; thus freeing up the workstation display to continue. For an inquiry message, there would be an auto-response with the DFT() defined from either the message identifier or possibly from the system reply list according to the INQMSGRPY() defined for the job.

From the documentation for QMHSNDPM Send Program Message API at the following URL, under the heading for "Optional Parameter Group 1" is the "screen wait time" text included below:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r4/topic/apis/QMHSNDPM.htm

Display program messages screen wait time
INPUT; BINARY(4)

The amount of time in seconds to wait on the display program messages screen for any user action when a message is sent to an external message queue. If there is no user action within the specified time, the control returns to the statement following the call of this API. Valid values follow:
-1 Wait on the display program messages screen for the maximum length of time allowed by the system (24 hours). If this parameter is not specified, this is the default.
0 Send the message, but do not show the display program messages screen.
>0 The amount of time to wait in seconds for user action. If there is no user action within the time, then control returns. If the display file currently being displayed is defined with the restore display attribute of *NO, the Display Program Messages screen wait time parameter is ignored.

Regards, Chuck

Dave wrote:
While looking into an unrelated issue, I noticed something odd.

At 4:12 am Saturday morning, QINTER came up and two different
users had multiple sessions open that reconnected. The 2nd and
3rd sessions at each computer received the break message about
the message queue being allocated to another job.

At 5:22 am Sunday, over 25 hours later, all of the sessions moved
on and completed the signon program.

Interesting, eh?