From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aaron Bartell
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:45 PM
To: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Getting a new IBM i - need advice

IBM has returned round two of the configuration based on input from
this group (see URL at bottom of email). I upgraded to a 4 HD RAID
config and also asked for a rack mount vs. a deskside because I
*eventually* wanted to put these in a formal rack (right now I have my
current deskside sitting on an industrial shelf and was planning on
just putting this one under or beside that one). But then I see that
there is about $600 worth of hardware for the rack mount vs. deskside
(wow mamma!):

7114 IBM/OEM Rack-Mount Drawer Rail 1 300.00
7200 IBM Rack-mount Drawer Bezel an 1 299.00

Do I really need these two line items? Would I be better off just
getting a deskside given that I won't be putting it into a formal rack
anytime soon?

Upgrading to a RAID config added this option though it doesn't
necessarily say it is a hardware card of some sort (as I suspect) but
instead appears to be some sort of OS enablement. Is it an actual
piece of hardware?

5679 SAS RAID Enablement 1 2,500.00

Also, anybody know what the below is? It was on my first round config
but I forgot to ask about it.

8310 DASD/Media Backplane for 3.5 D 1 633.00
with External SAS Port

Round two config: http://mowyourlawn.com/temp/Krengel-8203-E4A-V6R1-R2.pdf

Aaron Bartell
http://mowyourlawn.com