Thanks everyone, this is all great stuff!

If only you lot started work before 3 in the afternoon! We'd have saved a hell of a lot of man-hours.

-----Message d'origine-----
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] De la part de Vern Hamberg
Envoyé : jeudi 18 juin 2009 15:07
À : Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Objet : Re: SQL error causes all batch jobs to fail

To add to Rob's explanation, there is a set of invariant
characters between various code pages - and the vertical bar
is not one of them, nor the dollar sign, as he said. We are
told never to use the variant characters.

I googled "invariant character" and got the link at IBM for
it - this will get you there - *http://tinyurl.com/lybjbb

Those are the only characters you are ensured will be the
same, no matter what ccsid you use - with the exceptions
stated in that article.

HTH
Vern

*rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
David,

Item one:
You are in a multilingual environment. You should NOT use
|| or !!.
You should use concat instead. Much like the US Dollar
sign will get
changed to various other characters in different character sets so
will those shortcuts for concat. In fact, everyone should
avoid ||.
Never can tell when mergers or acquisitions may take place
and put you
in a multi ccsid environment.

Item two:
SELECT DIGITS(myfield)!!'_'DIGITS(myotherfield) FROM mytable You're
missing the second concat between '_' and DIGITS(myotherfield).

This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion