From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of lgoodbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 10:07 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Source Code management - Migrating packages

Yes.

When I started, I was the 4th or 5th person who inherited code (both
in-house and vendor software mods; we are not a software vendor). Source
could be in a standard source library, in a former developer's library,
a vendor "custom" library, or even in QGPL/Q*SRC. Sometimes the same
source member was in different places, and required reviewing all copies
to determine which was correct. DSPPGM and friends help, but sometimes
source was "work in process". If DSPPGM said member A was the source,
one occasionally found A, along with AOLD or AZZZ. Perhaps AOLD is the
"real" source for the compiled object, and A was unfinished mods. Who
knows?

We implemented Aldon in 2004. We had moved all the source we knew about
into our test LPAR. To use Aldon properly, we had to find "the one true
source" for each object and register it. This can save a lot of time in
finding the correct source for an object.

We've had up to four programmers on staff, now down to two. The suite of
tools, source comparison, single source definition browsing,
versioning/archive, are all worth it.

IMO, unless you're the person who wrote the code, and understand how a
program relates to the rest of your environment, five minute changes can
be dangerous. In your example, you say the values clause is only used in
one application. How do you know that? You know the application and
environment and can make that assessment. Is it documented?

I think Charles replied that SCM is useful for one developer, and I
agree. Let me put it another way. If you were programming in another
environment, would you use Subversion or another source control product
if you had the chance?

Personally, I would be interested to hear how Brad Stone or Scott
Klement manage their different software versions, being they both write
code for distribution. That would be the real-world "one person shop"
answer.

--Loyd