Michael_Smith wrote:

<<SNIP>>

At that point, ASP3 should be almost completely empty.

It was weird, there was .004% used in ASP3 but I deleted
everything I knew I had over there. I did a WRKLIB LIB(*ALL)
ASP(3) and there were no libraries and when I did a WRKLNK
/dev/QASP03, again there were no entries.

Anyone got any ideas if there is another way to have data in
another ASP?

I guess it's secondary now, since it's deleted.

Directories and Objects in libraries should be mostly all. An alternate style ASP allows the storage for save file(s) [dump spaces of] or the storage for journal receiver(s) rather than the objects themselves [which use an ASP() parameter to denote the alternate ASP as location of the data for the object], but then as a special type of ASP, any directories or library objects would be disallowed.

Shut down and IPL manual again into DST. About 15 minutes to
shutdown and IPL to DST

I had to Delete ASP 3 (after a few moments to pause and think
before I hit enter "What is the .004%!! utilized")

There may be some system-specific storage required to support an ASP for which neither directory nor object listings will show the storage taken. I am not sure, or even so how much storage one would expect; way too long since I ever used the ASP support and even longer since actually clearing one.

However there is a recommendation to RCLSTG *ALL before removing an ASP, to ensure that any /orphan/ storage is made available in the form of a library or directory object; i.e. manifest as a named object in either the QRCL#### *LIB, or an STMF in the special named [for its ASP] reclaim directory. Had that been done, then perhaps some of the missing storage would have been made visible to allay concerns for what if anything might be lost.

Move the remaining, 'near empty' DASD units to ASP 1.

This is what really got me. I thought that since there wasn't
anything on the disk, and therefore nothing to move around, that
adding them would be quick. No deal, as this was another 2
hours. I guess when you think about it, you increasing the area
single level storage can access and there is probably a lot of
addressing work that goes on.

<<SNIP>>

IIRC the time spent would have been for initialization of the disk units. Empty, new, or full, each entire disk is processed [larger disk requires more time] in order to make the initialized units available to the [chosen ASP of the] system.

Regards, Chuck