Dr. Franken! I was hoping you would weigh in.

Two minutes for a LIC load seemed kinda short to me as well. The fact that the "A" side still shows PTF's needing to be applied and the "B" side won't IPL made me suspicious that all was not well here. This may be a clue: I remember seeing a message that mirroring had been suspended on one of the pairs. I don't recall which one. Would a suspended mirror cause the LIC not to load? I didn't seeing any errors, just warning about the suspended mirror. After starting the mirroring ("resuming", I think it said) the blade didn't last long.

At the core of this is the "disappearing" SAS drives. I can usually get them to appear by first pulling the DSM (Storage Module) and then reinserting it. The AMM then indicates that it can't read the firmware level of the DSM so I have to bounce the MM and, at that point, all is well. I can start the blade and, in the IVM or at the VIOS command line I can see the SAS drives as available. From here, the cause of the "disappearance" becomes difficult to pin down. The blade itself, just running VIOS stays up and running about 98% of the time. But, the blade itself can run without having the SAS drives in the DSM available because it uses the two onboard HDD's for storage. The problem occurs in two ways:

1. Start the i partition. It will run for minutes, hours, days (rarely) without a known trigger as to what causes it to fail. I'll just notice that the AMM starts reporting errors from the blade and then when I go to the i, the console is unresponsive. I have suspected that a large amount of I/O is what is causing it to fail but I can't prove it. When I resumed the mirroring on the pair for instance, the blade was dead within minutes.

2. Back up files on VIOS to tape (external SAS LTO4 drive). This also involves the SAS Connectivity module (where I suspect the problem is). I was successful in getting the i to do a savsys to virtual optical media this weekend so there is now a file in VIOS I can back up to tape. When I launched the backup, VIOS went dead stick, along with the blade, within a minute or two. This happened both times I attempted to back up to tape.

So I think all fingers point to a bad SAS Conn Module but IBM thinks otherwise. They *know* there is an issue with the media tray and the i partition, but this thing fails whether the media tray is inserted or not. This box has been casters up for almost 4 weeks (yeah, I have had a couple of low availability weeks to work on it but I have been trying at least once a day to keep this thing running). So my plan is now to start swinging the dead cat around the IBM support desk and see if I can't get them to send out a tech to fix this thing. Unfortunately, I leave town tomorrow so I think I have another week of "try this, try that" before I can get someone to fix this.

Pete

lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Pete,

Sounds like fun... :-( I'm just reading this thread after a
catastrophic laptop failure this weekend. Luckily, though my primary backup
is on Frankie III which is currently in Rochester, I have a backup for my
backup!

So if I understand your blade crashed during PTFs. This FUBARed the link
loader on the "B" side, so that side is toast. IPL to "A" side is (ok
"was") good. You first re-installed the OS (oops) and while that didn't
help it shouldn't hurt. Then you IPLed "D" again from an RSE disk and
installed the LIC with option 1. (Which is the correct path to take.) .
You said it took only 2 minutes. THAT Makes me go Hmmm. Installing the LIC
isn't a long process but given the blade center has no cache and the drives
are mostly 10K units and there is VIOS in there, two minutes seems very
quick, almost as if it didn't go where you expected, or maybe anywhere. The
fact that a "B" mode IPL fails with the same error seems to add credence to
this theory.

The one thing I might do at this point is the "D" IPL - install the LIC,
then from there Install the OS again and let that complete. Use the OS
Disks you downloaded with your RSE slic. This will give you a complete
replacement of software from the bottom up putting both LIC and the OS at
the same PTF level. From there all PTF processing should go normally.

But there is that pesky "can't see the drives" problem at this point. So
you are now stuck with no drives? Does VIOS See the drives or are they gone
completely?

- Larry

Larry Bolhuis IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert:
Vice President System i Solutions
Arbor Solutions, Inc. IBM Certified Systems Expert:
1345 Monroe NW Suite 259 System i Technical Design and Implementation
V6R1
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
(616) 451-2500
(616) 451-2571 - Fax
(616) 260-4746 - Cell

If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank
a soldier.

Pete Helgren <Pete@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: To midrange-l-bounce Midrange Systems Technical s@xxxxxxxxxxxx Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx> cc 05/10/2009 08:36 PM Subject Re: LIC re-install - Confused on the steps to take Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@midra nge.com>

It's RSE. And yes, the first time I made the mistake of loading the OS
instead of the LIC. However, my later post to Lukas, I outlined the
steps I took, the first being loading the BASE CD and then IPL'ing from
D, after a 2 minute or so load, the i bounced and I ended up with a
manual A side IPL option. I was waiting to find out what the next is
that I should take.

Meanwhile, the blade crashed, again, and I can't get the partition to
see the SAS drives, no matter what I do. It will be a long day on the
phone with IBM tomorrow. I hope they send me a new blade/SAS module.
This POJ is taking up too much of my time.

Pete

Pete Massiello wrote:
Pete,

I think you reinstalled the OS. You need to reinstall the
LIC. Do
a "D" mode IPL from the I_BASE Cd. Make sure you have a current one. In
fact, you are best to get the latest one at

https://www-05.ibm.com/servers/eserver/ess/OpenServlet.wss

You should then load this onto the "A" side, which will wipe
out all
your PTFs. Then just IPL that side up, and then you can do your PTFs.
If
you installed a new version of LIC, then you won't have any PTF
processing
as you state below.

I would make sure my I_BASE cd is either 610 RSD or RSE

Pete

Pete Massiello
iTech Solutions
http://www.itechsol.com