Yeah, there's nothing I'd like better than changing this in all programs
Fmyfile ...
chain key myfile;

to:
// define all fields separately because I am not supposed to know the
table
// containing this information and therefore cannot use an externally
// defined data structure
D itemdesc S ...
D itemClass S ...
D OnHand S ...
D ...
D rc=setPointerToItemData(key);
itemDesc=getItemData("IDESC");
itemClass=getItemData("ICLAS");
OnHand=getItemData("ONHAND");
// Nope, can't use a data structure like
// ItemDataDS=getItemData();
// because that would limit the usefulness of data externalization because
// how would you change sizes of a column in the middle of the data?

I can see how this would REALLY help my productivity <SARCASM INTENDED>

And changing the properties of columns does happen, even in the packaged
ERP world. Like changing the key to the item master from 15 to 35
characters.
Old version:
Field Start End Attrib Text
IID 1 2 A2 Record ID; IM/IZ