I set the panel to D, manual, with the BASE CD in the drive and then start the partition. Then I see this:

Install Licensed Internal Code
System: B10270CA
Select one of the following:

1. Install Licensed Internal Code
2. Work with Dedicated Service Tools (DST)
3. Define alternate installation device

Selection

I take option 1 and I see this:

Install Licensed Internal Code (LIC)

Disk selected to write the Licensed Internal Code to:
Serial Number Type Model I/O Bus Controller Device
YWEB5KZWKZRX 6B22 050 0 4 0

Select one of the following:

1. Restore Licensed Internal Code
2. Install Licensed Internal Code and Initialize system
3. Install Licensed Internal Code and Recover Configuration
4. Install Licensed Internal Code and Restore Disk Unit Data
5. Install Licensed Internal Code and Upgrade Load Source

Selection

I take option #1 and I see the progress bar

Install Licensed Internal Code - Status

Install of the Licensed Internal Code in progress.

Percent | 0% |
complete +--------------------------------------------------+

Elapsed time in minutes . . . . . . . . : 0.0

About 2 minutes later it has gone to 100%. Eventually (a few minutes later). I see this:

IPL or Install the System
System: VASI5
Select one of the following:

1. Perform an IPL
2. Install the operating system
3. Use Dedicated Service Tools (DST)
4. Perform automatic installation of the operating system
5. Save Licensed Internal Code

Selection

Seems like the correct step is option 1 again. Is that what I should do?

I have been using these instructions:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v6r1m0/index.jsp?topic=/rzahc/upgradesameversion.htm

But it seems to follow the same path. Do you see in the above steps something I have missed?

Pete