Alan,

If you use SQL instead of RPG's RLA op-codes, you don't have to
recompile anything.

Another option, if you want to continue to use RPG's RLA, is to have
all your RPG program access through a logical file with an explicit
format, ie. define all the fields again. This way you can change the
physical without changing any logicals and thus without requiring any
recompiles. You could easily move to such a configuration simply by
renaming the current physical and creating a new logical with the name
of the old physical. (Note: I recommend using SQL DDL to define the
physicals and logicals)

Lastly, if you had a CMS, the CMS should be able to automatically
recompile anything that needs to be recompiled.

I'm pretty sure there is no RDBMS on the planet that will let you
change a file while it is in use.

Charles