From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Dan Kimmel
Sent: Thursday, May 07, 2009 5:14 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Bold printing using *AFPDS and internal printing.

AFPDS is a *PAGE* format vs a *LINE* format in *SCS. An AFPDS page is
fully formated before anything is sent to the printer. Double print has
no effect as the pixels of the glyphs just overlay the previous ones. To
get bold in AFPDS, you'll have to code your program to use a AFPDS print
file and manage the font selection there.

Your problem with the paper size on SCS with overlay is probably in the
creation of the overlay. It does work, I've done it many times. The most
common error is the way the overlay is managed with COR. (Computer
Output Reduction). If your print file is 10 CPI and 132 characters wide,
the print file will, by default, automatically use COR to print on an
8.5 by 11 piece of paper if your printer device description makes this
the default size. COR turns the page 90 degrees and selects a font
that'll fit that 13.2 inch wide span in about 10 inches with half inch
margins. It then puts the overlay on top. So you have to scan your
overlay landscape, top left to make it come out correctly. Takes a bit
of experimentation. You'll get it right eventually.