Bruce,

I was considering _not_ writing the results out to a data file.

But the current application which does use the file offers multiple
sort sequences, via multiple logicals, in which to list the data.

In addition to saving the cost of writing to the DB file, I'd be able
to take advantage of the Open List capabilities of returning just the
first screen of data while the background job processes the rest of
the list. If I write out to a file, I'd need the whole list.

I may have to play around with it to determine which way is best.

Also, as an FYI, but the original app actually uses QUSLSPL to list
the spool files in the outq with 215K spool files. Then for whatever
reason, it uses WRKOUTQ OUTPUT(*PRINT) to deal with a different outq
containing a much smaller number of files.

I intend for the new app to use QGYOLSPL in both cases. If I don't
use the existing physical and logicals, I should at least save the
time being spent writing and indexing.

Charles