post, I realized it was kind of rude.
--
James R. Perkins

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 13:13, Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx>wrote:

Don't want to but we have a current iSeries DB2 EPR package that might be
getting replaced by one that uses Oracle. If I don't have to buy new
hardware to run the Oracle database on I want to save those funds for other
needs. It would also save space and power in the datacenter if I don't have
to buy additional hardware to run Oracle. We have lots of other apps running
on the iSeries so that is not going away if we make this switch.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:
midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James Perkins
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 3:37 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Does oracle still run on iSeries?

Well, I tried to resist, but I can't. Why would you want to do that? The i
is a great platform, but I don't see any advantage to using over Solaris or
something like that if you are going to dump Oracle on it.

I'm by no means saying anybody should move away from the i, but I don't
understand why there seem to be a lot of people any more that want to turn
the i into something that it's not. We don't really need another "me too"
type of system. There are plenty of those out there with overworked
administrators.

I suppose I'm ranting here more than anything, so I apologize for that. I
still don't see any advantage or reason to do that though.

--
James R. Perkins

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 10:38, Mike Cunningham <mike.cunningham@xxxxxxx