On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 08:13, Al <macwheel99@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
How can I find out what the speed is of the 400 communications, how can I
adjust that speed, and what are the pros & cons of doing so?

Use CHGLINETH on the Ethernet line you're using. DSPLIND et al. You
can see in CFGTCP / 1 which line you're using.

Now, there are multiple ideologies on what to use: I recommend
LINESPEED *AUTO / DUPLEX *AUTO, but there are just as many people that
think setting a specific linkspeed and configuring the switch to the
same is the better way to go.

We have a 170 with V5R1, because the company is not going to pay Infor what
they want from us to move BPCS to a more modern system.

A stupid move, since V5R1 has been unsupported by IBM since a long
time, and even the newest operating system running on the 170 (V5R3)
has also been discontinued. I really hope the company knows that what
they're doing constitutes gross negligence.

6 months ago, we had a PC guy come in to upgrade the Microsoft server
infrastructure. ÂHe did not understand the Cisco stuff that was there, so he
replaced it with NetGear and Sonic VPN . personally I think Sonic VPN is
better security than Cisco VPN. ÂAnyhow, at the time this was installed, all
the lights on the NetGear were green, but now a bunch are amber.

SonicWALL is low-to-mid tier equipment, NetGear mostly sells consumer
equipment. Cisco stuff is extremely expensive, and doesn't bring many
advantages to smaller companies.

Cisco had a few issues with it's VPN client, for example lacking
support for 64bit operating systems. Both Cisco and SonicWALL use
IPsec, so i'd presume that the security of the two is the same, given
recent hard- and software. All newer SonicWALLs support AES
encryption, older Cisco equipment did not.

The NetGear device is called a "Switch".

Green lights mean the 400 is speaking to the NetGear at 100 MPS.
Amber lights mean they are talking to each other at 10 MPS.

Are you sure? While this has been the case for a while (Amber=10,
Green=100), the introduction of Gigabit switches lead to several cases
where amber indicates a Gigabit link.

MPS = Megabytes per Second

It's Megabit per Second - mbps.

What this hardware is supposed to be doing is simulating a controller . for
local and remote PCs to talk to the 400, emulating dumb terminals, and
client access, and I also do OPSNAV when server time outs don't get in the
way.

Not simulating a controller. It's a switch. It connects ethernet devices.