I do recommend they try that observable version on a 5.3 or 5.4 server and
see what happens with ANZOBJCVN. The reason I suggest so is I know of one
list member that had an object pass ANZOBJCVN that still would not convert
when upgraded to 6.1. I believe they contacted IBM and got a ptf made for
ANZOBJCVN (IOW, do not use this as a fear factor to avoid 6.1).

I did some casual searching to see if IBM publishes what ANZOBJCVN does
under the covers. As a vendor you may wish to contact IBM and see what
you can do to support 'skip ship'. Other than ship it off to someone else
and have them run ANZOBJCVN. You might start with the authors of that
redbook. I met Paul Godtland in Rochester and he was very helpful.
Officially you're probably supposed to open a pmr, but if you're running
that old of an OS I doubt if that is an option for you.

If you download the most recent copy of this redbook you will see the
updates page. November 2008 lists new ptf's.

See also http://www-912.ibm.com/a_dir/as4ptf.nsf/$$search?openform and
search for anzobjcvn.

To others: Since support for v5r3 dies in a couple of days you may want
to get the ptf's for v5r3 if you are running that even if you don't plan
on upgrading to something newer for a few years.