At one time, we had a 620. LOADS of screws. A helpful(?) interlock that killed
power if a shroud covering the back got moved. Power supply failed on it. Took
a long time for the CE to get to the thing. Outer panels and then loads of
screws on an inner panel and finally access to where power supply was. Obviously, IBM believed it would never fail, to make getting to it such a task.
CE said he had never had to replace one before.

John McKee

Quoting Roger Harman <RHarman@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Glad everything turned out OK.

Sometimes the CE's work really quickly. A couple of weeks ago I had a
new CE, BTW.. I have socks older than him ;-(( , out to replace a drive
cage on our 720. From kicking the users off to them being back
operational was less than 45 minutes. If you've ever had to take the
side panel off of a 720, you know that alone could take that much time -
a jillion screws. He did a great job. Plus, it was very heartening to
hear him say that he really liked the iSeries boxes.

jmmckee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 04/16/2009 7:30:01 PM >>>
I met the CE today, by accident. He showed me the new cache battery.
Looked
like three AA cells.

One other bit of fun: he referred to the machine as AS/400 <g>.

An hour was allocated, but system was IPLed less than twenty minutes
after power
down completed.

He talked to the sys admin as he faulted the battery. Thanks to
previous
threads on this subject, and the link on the procedure, I knew what was
going
on. Thanks!

John McKee

Quoting Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Our local county government did the exact same thing with no
IBM CE on location. I understand that it took over a week for
the recovery due to some pesky backup issues.

This is a large LPAR machine running the entire county operation.

There were several job changes/deletions in the following months.

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, follow the cache flushing directions carefully. I hear of a
customer
site that the IBM CE didn't and they ended up having to do a full
system
restore.

list

list