Another good idea to limit overhead from the trigger is to have the
trigger just capture the information about the record, etc that you want
captured and toss it into a data queue and just end. Then, you can create
a second program that runs in batch that just monitors the data queue and
reacts when an entry is posted. This transfers all of the extra
processing to a process that is not in-line with the main process. I've
used this very effectively when dealing with information passed through an
exit point.

Rich Loeber
Kisco Information Systems
http://www.kisco.com

Charles Wilt wrote:

Just because there's a recommendation that something not be used if
possible, doesn't mean that the something doesn't exist for a reason
or that it's always possible to avoid using the something.

In the case of READ triggers, as Chuck mentions they were added
specifically to support the requirement you have.

So a READ trigger is going to be the best answer to track who read
what records (assuming you need that level of detail).

However, as Alan alludes to, there's a right way and a wrong way to do this.

The wrong way is to have the encrypted CC# in your CustomerMaster
file, thus causing every read on the customer master file by every
program/query to fire the trigger. Not only would the performance be
horrid, but the shear quantity of logs will overwhelm you.

The right way is to have a separate CreditCardMaster. The
CustomerMaster file would contain a foreign key into the
CreditCardMaster file. This way only the program(s) that need the CC#
will access the file, and only accesses to the CC# will be logged.

HTH,
Charles

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Eftimios Pantzopoulos