Leif Guldbrand wrote:
Rob,

Just checked, and you seems to be correct :-)

Though I would have said:
First hex: 4 to F
Second hex: 0 to E

Which actually, at least for a real terminal, is not quite correct. For a real terminal, although that's certainly what the message *says,* what it really *means* is that it must be a 2-digit hex number between 40 and FE, inclusive.

I just tried an experiment with our emulator: I temporarily added a toolbar button, that would bring up a dialog (JOptionPane.showInputDialog()) asking for a 2-digit hex number, checking to see if the cursor is on a field, and then plugging the resulting value into the buffer at the specified position. It's extremely crude, but it did allow me to stick attributes into a field text. Whether turning that into something operational is any better than just using a CL to do it is anybody's guess. For actual off-keyboard characters, one can just use the desktop OS's usual dodges for entering them, like alt-keypad and "Character Map" in WinDoze.

Probably not worth it, but the proof-of-concept was a fun exercise.

--
JHHL