"I don't suppose there was a label on the inside of the cover of the box?"

In fact there was, on the inside door of the expansion unit and based on that I was able to surmise that the "empty" cage was attached to the controller that was allocated to the development LPAR. So I went ahead and added all 5 70GB drives to the cage. This morning, when the backup had completed and I was able to use SST to see the unconfigured disks, I saw all 5 disks so, in this case, dumb luck *was* my friend. I was able to just add the 5 disks, create a parity set from them and add them to the ASP.

So I was able to do everything without downtime. I was able to do that not because of my original plan, but because I was able to create a new parity set without disturbing the existing parity set. If I *had* needed to pull 5 and add 5 drives, it would have been a more difficult, longer story.

But, I'll take dumb luck any day....

Pete

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I don't suppose there was a label on the inside of the cover of the box? Sometimes that groups it by stuff that needs a separate controller.