Running a system backup on the development partition at the moment so I don't have access to SST but with a little more sleuthing, I think I may have some good news. Looking at the diagram and instructions on the inside door of the expansion unit and comparing it to what I see in the rack config on the production side, the diagram indicates that IOA #1 controls the cages that are marked DB3-0, DB3-1 and DB3-2 on the diagram. Based on what I see in the Rack config, it looks like IOA 2 (DB2) and 3 (DB1) are allocated to the production partition because I don't see any disks controlled by IOA #1 (DB3) in the production LPAR. I *think* the Planar ID in SST points to the IOA on the diagram but I won't be sure until the backup is complete and I can jump in with SST to look.

I went ahead and loaded up the empty cage with the 5 drives. Hopefully, when I DO get a chance to run SST, I'll see the 5 drives as unconfigured and will be able to add them to their own parity set and add them to the ASP on the development partition. I don't currently see the drives showing up in the production side in SST so I again am hopeful that dumb luck has prevailed and the one empty cage was attached to the development partition.

I'll know more in the morning.

Thanks again.

Pete

Kirk Goins wrote:

OK... Got to be carefull here... For i5 OS partitions at 5.4 and below, disk is allocated by the Disk Controller. ie All Disks on controller 'A' will be in the same i5 OS Partition. Depending on the card in use etc there may not be anymore slots available for this partition. So at this point we need to know the system model, expansion model(s) and a rackcfg of this partition.