So, what happens when MS SQL 2008 is brought into the picture? Cause more
problems and/or break?

John McKee

Quoting "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

But to further confuse the issue, the release notes state,
several times, that MS-SQL 2005 must be run in MS-SQL 2000

FWIW, the server isn't in one mode or the other, rather that setting is
a database by database thing, so you could have 2005 running both "pure"
2005 databases, and databases back-leveled to 2000. The nice thing is
you actually get some of the features of 2005 even in 2000 mode. The
requirement for 2000 mode probably comes from them doing something that
is no longer supported in 2005.

There are a couple of ways you can write a query that would have worked
in 2000, but no longer in 2005, I know we had a couple of queries to
fix. One of the issues has to do with 2005 supporting ordering by
columns that aren't in the result list. Doesn't seem like a big deal
until you realize that "order by CustNo" may have been unambiguous in
2000 when there was only one CustNo in the result, but if there was one
in each of the tables on the join, in 2005 it's unclear which one you
want to sort by. 2000 compatibility mode will "fix" this problem.

--
Walden H Leverich III
Tech Software