From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: Monday, February 16, 2009 4:35 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: what was the single mgmt decision made in mid-1990s that slowed the evolution of ILE/RPG?
<snip>
ILE has the feel of an unfinished product. The signature violations
the many avoid by hardcoding the signature. The varying data type in
RPG that is not supported in COBOL and CL. The pre compiler is
undocumented. esp in terms of how to create debugger view. The
associated space of a program APIs have a parameter for named
associated spaces. Only problem is the API rejects all names. SQL
procedures are barely functional within ILE. The integration of SQL
within a running ILE program could be easily improved. Result sets as
an ILE data type, log sql stmts to the joblog, send an escape message
when an sql stmt fails.

And the above is the only real thing that concerns me about the "i". It
is an excellent platform, but you are basically "stuck" doing things the
way the IBM has designed it. If IBM "falls short" in any way, there is
not way, that I have found at least, for the users to "band together"
and "fix" the problem. In today's world, the same could be said of z/OS
in many ways. But before IBM went "object code only" (especially
OS/360), the users could look at and "fix" IBM problems. Of course, this
lead to some problems of its own due to incompatibilities and difficulty
in upgrading. <sigh> There is no "perfect" system.

--
John McKown Systems Engineer IV
IT

Administrative Services Group

HealthMarkets(r)
Administrative Services Group
(817) 255-3225 phone * (817)-961-6183 cell
john.mckown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx * www.HealthMarkets.com

confidential or proprietary information. Any unauthorized review, use,
copies of the original message.