rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

One, I can't do stuff like this in RPGLE
RealVariable=MySubprocedure(3 * WorkVar);
I have to something like this:
TempVar=3 * WorkVar;
call MySubprogram
parm TempVar
parm RealVariable
Plus I have to convert the above into fixed format.
Also, I have to be concerned with whether or not the subprogram mucked with TempVar since subprograms don't support CONST.

Rob, you can use a prototyped call for a subprogram (the prototype gets the EXTPGM keyword). Also, subprograms do support CONST for parameters (but they don't support VALUE).

It's true that you can't return a variable from a program, so you would have to code the return value as a parameter:

MySubprogram(RealVariable: 3 * WorkVar);

or if RealVariable isn't the same type as the parameter

MySubprogram(TempVar : 3 * WorkVar);
RealVariable = TempVar;