Jonathan wrote:

...I tried using Grep through Qshell,
but that only seems to work with IFS
and Source Physical Files and not
"ordinary" multi-member files.

Does anybody have any ideas on how I can find
the member containing the invoice number?
As it's a clients production machine I don't have
access to compilers, etc, to write any programs.

Jonathan -

Easy!

Use the CPYF command. Here is an example using JDE file F4211. I know that
the invoice number is an 8-digit signed numeric, found in position 696. I
just created a copy of this file in QTEMP with two members. TO find invoice
number 13, I executed the following command:

CPYF FROMFILE(QTEMP/F4211) TOFILE(*PRINT) FROMMBR(*ALL) INCCHAR(*RCD 696 *EQ
X'F0F0F0F0F0F0F1F3')

The output is not pretty, but it shows me the two records (one from each
member) that have invoice # 13...

- sjl