On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:55 AM, McKown, John
<John.Mckown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

This is just a opinion question. But what products (extra cost) do ya'll
think are "de rigeur" for a new i shop? So far, just from overhearing,
it looks like we will be getting Robot/Scheduler and Robot/Tape.

The advanced job scheduler that IBM sells works good enough. Consider
holding off on these add on products until you know how to use the
base OS. There is a lot the system can do on its own, esp if you
learn CL and commands.

On the compiler question: is each compiler licensed separately, or are
the all a single package? I would hope the latter.

the ILE compilers are bundled together. Then there are the legacy
compilers, which you probably will need to compile mainframe COBOL
code.

I would not bother with the DBU and WRKDBF for now. I have not used
them for years. Instead I use the STRSQL command to run SQL
statements. The system also has DFU ( data file utility ) that can be
used to edit individual records in a file. DBU and WRKDBF just do this
a lot nicer.

-Steve