That "education card" can be used for COMMON conference registration,
too. If you've been to a SHARE conference you'll be right at home at the
COMMON annual conference in Reno in April.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 10:01 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Question (pre-newbie) about DB2

Perhaps you can take the bull by the horns and ask for education to
become the super operator and enough education to do programming in your
spare time. Our operator not only handles i security but she also
handles all Domino and Windows security. In a way it makes sense.
Payroll terminations, etc are funneled through her. She can blast them
out of everywhere at once. (Although we tend to disable them because
new hires are often "set them up just like Joe was".)

Our operator get's four weeks of vacation. I'm her backup. We heavily
document all her tasks in a document database in Domino. If we can't
cover her when she's gone some strong suggestions are made about her
documentation.

IBM has something called an "education card". Basically it's a volume
discount of IBM education.
1-800-IBM-TEACH
See the "System i Training paths" offered at
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageTy
pe=page&c=a0000607
I think it's now called an "IBM Education Pack". While still discounted
nicely I think it used to be more of a bargain. I think when it first
started it was one chunk and one person could take all the education
they could fit in a year.
http://www-304.ibm.com/jct03001c/services/learning/ites.wss/us/en?pageTy
pe=page&c=a0000155
Be careful. Taking a path often requires some sort of sequence and your
calendar and IBM's may not mesh.

Does a class called "Introduction to System i for Computer Professionals
(AS43)" sound interesting? See the System Administrator path.

I met a guy at either COMMON or one of the IBM tech conferences that was
given an IBM education card, and some travel reimbursement, as a
severance package. Must have been the tech conference, because that's
on that card also.

I could imagine management wanting you to sign some sort of indentured
servitude agreement if they were to send you to every course in the
system administrator path. Even with the 10% discount that's some
serious chunk of change. Then there's travel...

Hence why some people use courses like those offered by
http://ibmuser.com/ http://www.mantatech.com/ and another one that is
offering you a $200 kickback if you purchase their education by the end
of the year
http://www.lab400.com/promotion.asp?idno=24941
(ooh, ibmuser.com is really ATS and if you buy the ATS system admin
bundle from lab400 you get two kickbacks) Another nice thing about these
courses is many of them can be used by multiple students. Like the four
of you at work. You all take the courses and management can separate
the chaff from the wheat as they see who best applies the knowledge.
Make sure the courses aren't dated. Some companies have a history of
putting out education that is only applicable to an early version of the
OS and hasn't been updated in a decade or so. (hint: If they still
offer it on tape cassette and not CD...)

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
Dock 108
6928N 400E